Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chuck vs. the satisfactory conclusion

Note, this spoils the final episode of Chuck. If you don’t want to be spoiled, then stop reading.

As MIck Foley said in his autobiography, “Amnesia angles never get over.” This is something that the Chuck creators should have remembered. It was a ridiculous premise to go out of their way to destroy the last five years of characterization for Sarah by hitting the reset button which made it even worse was that Chuck, who spent most of the series learning that he did not need the intersect to be a spy, ended up with the intersect back in his head.

There is part of me that wonders if this is some sort of clever discussion of the concept of a cyclical universe as opposed to linear, but somehow I doubt it. I just think it is lousy plotting. All of this could have been saved by slapping on a scene two years later with where they are living in their dream home, but, of course, that didn’t happen.

Looking around, reaction seems to be split between those who think that it ruined the series for them and those who think it was a masterpiece. I have to say I am somewhere in the middle as usual. I don’t think it ruined the series for me, but on the other hand, I am not running out to buy the DVDs of it.

There are some final episodes that have grown on me over time. I hated the Seinfeld last episode when it first aired, but now it makes more sense that they got their comeuppance in the end. This, however, makes no sense.

Jeffster on the other hand still rocks.

No comments: