Friday, October 06, 2006

Canada's role in Afghanistan one month in

On Thursday I gave my 4th lecture on Canada's role in Afghanistan to the senior citizen class. So far I'm doing relatively good I think. I have actually gained one more student. I'm starting to notice some patterns.

They really don't like background. If I don't mention Afghanistan every 30 seconds they start losing interest. It is hard to teach counterinsurgency without mentioning Mao Tse-Tung on Guerrilla Warfare or Small Wars . I also seem to get the same questions over and over. For some reason I can't move the discussion.

Most of the class think we should shut the mission down. I'm in a rather conservative part of Canada so I'm surprised. Probably not good for the "new government" of Prime Minister Stephen Harper.






No comments: