Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend OK its young adult literature I'm feeling nostalgic. Surprisingly the book does still hold up and there's a bunch of rather subtle references I didn't pick up when I first read this thing back in grade 6.

It's the diary of the trials and tribulations of a 13-year-old in a working-class family trying to deal with a feminist mother and a lazy father. The book is an excellent snapshot of 1980s England firmly in the Margaret Thatcher years. It is still quite funny even to this 25-year-old. I came across it while wandering through Abebooks.

Highly Recommended.

I have also reviewed the second book in the series The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole.

No comments: