Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Thesis defense report

So on Monday I had my thesis defense. To avoid the suspense I did pass although there were a few typos that needed to be fixed. I submitted those yesterday and they were accepted by graduate studies. I should be receiving final approval for my degree sometime soon.

As far as the defense itself it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. Much of the questioning was asking me to further elaborate on some of the themes of my research. The opening few questions were little worrying because they were talking about gaps in my bibliography. I did manage to make a reasonable argument about not including the material.

It took basically an hour and a half. Before starting out the neutral chair was quite specific that it could only go two hours, even if they had more questions. This makes me think that before this rule some defense went six hours.

No comments: