Monday, July 21, 2008

All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren

All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren is a classic novel of politics in the southern US. This was loosely based on the life of Huey Long. It's also my second book in the Southern Reading Challenge. Hopefully my third book will be arriving this week.

Our narrator a former journalist and historian is currently working as a political fixer for the governor. The story has two major narrative threads one being the building of a hospital the other a Senatorial campaign. Along the way there is dark family secrets, corruption and politics.

I was a little worried when the first two scenes took 50 pages but after that it gets moving. Now it's still a big book my copy coming in at 660 pages but I was actually able to get through it in a single day. It's that engrossing.

Highly recommended!

No comments: