Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mao's China and After: A History of the People's Republic by Maurice Meisner

Mao's China and After: A History of the People's Republic by Maurice Meisner is a history of China from 1949 through the 1990s. This is the third edition which has corrections and has been expanded. Meisner is "sympathetic" to the Marxist dream of the Chinese communist party. This does not mean that he is unwilling to criticize. Much of the book is taken up with the personality of Mao and his various attempts to create the revolution. Interestingly after the seizure of power this meant that he was fighting with other sections of the party.

This is a nice history that is surprisingly readable. I don't know much about this era of Chinese history so I found it useful. I did once take a university class on Chinese and Japanese history unfortunately both the professor and textbook put me to sleep. So I now have a grounding at least.

Recommended!

No comments: