Sunday, January 31, 2010

Jack Absolute by C.C. Humphreys

Jack Absolute by C.C. Humphreys this is a delightful novel from the Canadian actor and dramatist. Absolute a British soldier gets himself entangled in the American Revolution. Spies, conspiracies and love quickly developed. Historical accuracy is decent but I actually didn't mind when inaccuracies popped up. The main character is so over-the-top and fun. Think Flashman only without the cowardice. I broke my cardinal rule with a series I went out and purchased the other two books right away.

Highly recommended!

2 comments:

Rich said...

Hmm, a interesting period is history. I don't know if I should feel ashamed or not, but I have no idea who "Flashman" is. Maybe I should google the subject before I post this and look like an idiot. Don't wanna hit that post button just yet....

jmnlman said...

He's the "hero" in a long running historical fiction series written by George MacDonald Fraser. The Character first appeared in Tom Brown's Schooldays by Thomas Hughes a victorian morality tale. Flashman was the villain eventually thrown out of the school for drunkenness. Fraser borrowed the character positing that he became a victorian hero but didn't deserve it being the same cowardly, womanizing scoundrel portrayed in the original but often through dumb luck and lies able to shape things to his advantage. The books are very politically incorrect and extremely funny. The first is Flashman: A Novel published in 1969.